Friday 23 March 2012

A week in Košice

Just recently at work I thought that I had been unlucky in that I hadn’t had a business trip for a while.  Quite coincidentally, a few days later I was asked to a meeting where I was introduced to some business partners from Košice in Slovakia and was told that I had to go there to help sort out some problems.  “Košice?” I thought.  “Never heard of it.”  But anyone reading this blog knows that I am travel mad.  Who am I to turn down a trip to an exotic destination, even an unknown one?

Kosice 027
The Currywurst tram at Stuttgart Airport - only in Germany!
Kosice 032
An aircraft museum on the roof of Terminal 3!
I’ve never been to Eastern Europe before, apart from a week in the eastern sector of Berlin, which sort of counts I suppose, but not quite.  So I was slightly apprehensive – after all, it was only little more than 20 years ago that you couldn’t go there even if you wanted to (at least not without some great effort) and it was all locked away behind the iron curtain.  That has always given Eastern Europe an air of mystery for me – and probably for many of us – and it makes it the “unknown country” to an extent.  It is a slightly odd coincidence that it was Slovakia as the destination for my first foray into Eastern Europe, because when I was a child (about 9 or 10 years old) I used to think that the name Czechoslovakia was the most exotic sounding of names and I wanted to go there.  This was in about 1980 when the iron curtain was still up, so how a 10 year old living in Australia in 1980 even heard of the name Czechoslovakia, much less wanted to go there, is anyone’s guess.  But then I’m an oddball grown up so I suppose I was an oddball child!

So, the Slovakia half of Czechoslovakia for a week it is then.  I’ll have to do the Czech half later – especially given that one of the people I’ve been working with here in Košice this week said that Prague is “like being in a fairy tale.”  High praise indeed!  But first I’ll visit Bratislava, capital of Slovakia, which I intend to do some time in the new two or three months (yes I’ve been impressed enough with Slovakia to be already planning further trips here).
As an Australian it is easy to view Europe as small when compared to the vast waste of the Outback, but it is bigger than it looks.  These “short hops” to nearby countries take a surprising amount of time – out of bed at 4:30 am, out of the house at 5:30, on the train to Stuttgart at 6, on the Stuttgart S-Bahn by 7:30, finally on the plane at 10:30, stopover for a quick coffee in Vienna at midday (yes now I’m dropping names) and finally check in at the Hilton Košice just after 3.  That’s a long trip for a short hop across Europe – I could get half way to Australia in that time!
Kosice 039
View from the Košice Hilton
Košice 001
My place of work for a week
On arrival I had a bit of a wander around the centre of town, which bills itself as “the best preserved old town in Eastern Europe.”  I’m not sure if that is true as I’ve not seen enough of Eastern Europe yet, but I would probably believe it!  It reminded me of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh in that the entire Hlavná ulica (Main Street) is almost perfectly preserved.  There are only about two modern buildings in the main street of town – one of which is a bloody Tesco!  The entire main street is almost perfectly preserved, as is the warren of narrow lanes around it.  I’m curious as to why.  Obviously the city escaped bombing during the war, but such a perfectly preserved street is still unusual.  Was it luck?  A lack of money under the Communists (doubtful, given the huge amount of 1960s Soviet apartments that ring the old town)?  Or was it cultural pride?  I suspect the latter.  Slovakia is a small country of only 5 million inhabitants, but I have noticed a definite cultural pride here, and certainly what I could only describe as a cultural richness.  For example, in the bookshops everything is in Slovak, which is unusual for such a small population.  Even in Finland, which has about the same population, I noticed that not everything is translated into Finnish in the bookshops, presumably because the market is not big enough.  But then the Slavic languages are related and mutually intelligible (especially Slovak and Czech) so maybe many of these books are in Czech – I’m not yet able to tell the difference!

Košice 012
Public transport Košice style
So that brings me to the Slovak language.  It’s impenetrable.  I asked someone how to say “thank you” – it’s “ďakujem.”  Five days later and I’m still struggling with it.  And that’s only my first word.  Six months after moving to Germany and having to slowly learn the language from scratch and I’m back to square one!  At least German is related to English and is without doubt the easiest language I’ve attempted to learn (the others being French, Norwegian and Finnish, so I’m no language beginner!) whereas Slovak is in the same family as Russian, which takes it into a whole different world, linguistically speaking (pardon the pun).  On the subject of German, it is not uncommon here, although Košice is so far east that it’s bordering Ukraine.  Last night a drunk Slovak man came up to me on the street and started asking me a question.  “English” I said, gesturing to myself.  “Deutsch?” he replied?  “Ja, ein bisschen” I said (yes, a little).  At which point he asked me in slurred words where the bus stop was for the number twenty three bus.  Unfortunately I couldn’t help him, but at least I understood him!

That is probably the most successful conversation in German that I have had so far, and I was quite proud of myself.  Speaking to non native speakers of a language you are learning is far easier than speaking to a native speaker.  When I was in Oulu last year a drunken Russian woman came up to me in the street and started talking to me in Finnish (I’m starting to see a pattern here) and that too was the only decent Finnish conversation I had.  I understood every word she said (in Finnish with a strong Russian accent) and yet I could never understand a word of a native Finn!

Košice 016
With my Russian workmate in a Soviet nostalgia bar!

Well I am rambling a bit and that will do for my first post.  Not much has happened since I arrived on Monday as I am, after all, here on business and so I have been working.  This afternoon I finished work early and took some photos of the old town, which I will upload later, and tomorrow I will go to Spišský hrad (Spis Castle), 800 years old and one of the largest castles in Europe.  Stay tuned for a blog post when I finally get around to writing it in two weeks time (hopefully not)!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! you in the Soviet nostalgia bar. I bet that was an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete